Tower to the People: A history book on the EURAC Tower
EURAC tower was born twice: first, in 1934, as a symbol of the fascist regime; secondly, more than sixty years later, as a cultural meeting ground between art and science.
Originally home to the Bolzano chapter of the “Italian Youth of Littorio”, from the 1930s till today the building known as the “ex GIL” has held many different functions: from a playground to a porn cinema, from housing to a gym. In 2002, the building was renovated to become the new headquarters of EURAC. This would be the first step in the new direction of the tower’s life.
EURAC Tower’s "Journeys Between Art and Science" is an initiative that brings science to the public through art installations and cultural events such as the EURAC science cafés. The exhibits are created from an exchange of ideas between scientists and artists, who confront each other’s languages to find ways to express science.
In 2007, "Journeys Between Art and Science" project was begun with the project “Museion at the EURAC Tower”, a three-year collaboration that produced 10 tower-related art installations based on topics from EURAC’s eleven scientific institutes.
Recounting the story of "Journeys Between Art and Science", the book "Tower to the People" recalls the tower’s first five years, from its beginnings as a working space for local artists, an exhibition space for established artists, and a platform for cultural events such as EURAC’s science cafés.
Buy this publication